Chicken Stir-Fry with Snow Peas and Mixed Bell Peppers
Bell peppers provide a rainbow of colors in this attractive stir-fry. The crispness of the peppers and snow peas contrasts with the juicy chunks of chicken, while a traditional stir-fry sauce bathes the dish in Asian flavors of soy, garlic, and ginger. Add brown rice for a meal that rivals your favorite from the Chinese takeout menu.
Serving Size: 3 ounces chicken and ¾ cup vegetables
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 12 minutes
- 1/2 cup fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons plain rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce (lowest sodium available)
- 1 teaspoon grated peeled gingerroot
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Cooking spray
- 2 cups fresh or frozen snow peas or sugar snap peas, trimmed if fresh or thawed if frozen
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 medium yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoons canola or corn oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, all visible fat discarded, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- In a small bowl, whisk together the broth, vinegar, soy sauce, gingerroot, garlic, and pepper. Set aside.
- Lightly spray a large skillet or wok with cooking spray. Cook the snow peas, green onions, and all the bell peppers over medium-high heat for 4–5 minutes, or until tender-crisp, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a plate.
- In the same skillet, heat the oil, swirling to coat the bottom. Cook the chicken for 4–5 minutes, or until no longer pink in the center, stirring frequently.
- Return the snow pea mixture to the skillet. Stir in the broth mixture. Bring to a boil, still over medium-high heat. Boil for 1 minute, stirring occasionally.
- Put the cornstarch in a small bowl. Add the water, stirring to dissolve the cornstarch. Stir into the chicken mixture. Cook for 45 seconds to 1 minute, or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
2 Vegetable, 3 Lean Protein
|Calories from Fat||50 g|
|Total Fat||6 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Trans Fat||0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||2.5 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||9 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|
|Added Sugar||0 g|