Southern Collard Greens
The meaty smoked turkey complements the earthiness of the collards in this side dish with authentic southern flavor.
Serving Size: 3 ounces
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 2 hours
- 4 ounces uncooked smoked turkey necks
- 2 pounds cleaned and chopped collard greens
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 packets (1 tablespoon) salt-free instant chicken bouillon
- 4 medium garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Put 2 quarts water in a large Dutch oven. Bring to a boil over high heat. Add the turkey necks. Boil for 1 hour. The meat should fall off the bones. Remove the bones from the water.
- Stir in the collard greens, onion, bouillon, garlic, and red pepper flakes. If the pot is full, you can add half the greens and cook until they shrink before adding the remaining half. Return to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Cook for 1 hour, or until the greens are tender, stirring occasionally. Pour in additional water if necessary.
- Serve hot.
|Calories from Fat||10|
|Total Fat||1 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Trans Fat||0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||0 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||0 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|
|Added Sugar||0 g|