Seared Chicken with Strawberry Salsa
Luscious strawberries are a different but delectable choice for this salsa, although you can substitute mango or peaches if you prefer. Whatever fruit you choose, the sweet and spicy salsa pairs perfectly with seared chicken breasts. Serve with mild sides such as steamed vegetables and quinoa to keep the flavor focus on this mealtime star.
Serving Size: 3 ounces chicken and 1/2 cup salsa
- 2 teaspoons canola or corn oil
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice or cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (about 4 ounces each), all visible fat discarded
- 1 cup diced hulled strawberries, mango, or peeled peaches
- 1 medium poblano pepper, seeds and ribs discarded, diced, or 3/4 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint or cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- In a small bowl, stir together the paprika, allspice, salt, and pepper. Sprinkle over the smooth side of the chicken. Using your fingertips, gently press the mixture so it adheres to the chicken. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, stir together the salsa ingredients.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat, swirling to coat the bottom. Cook the chicken with the smooth side down for 4 minutes. Turn over. Cook for 2–4 minutes, or until no longer pink in the center.
- Serve the salsa with the chicken.
1 Carbohydrate, 3 Lean Meat
|Calories from Fat||50|