Asian Chicken and Vegetable Stew
Tender cubes of chicken, crisp vegetables, and an Asian-inspired broth make for an aromatic entrée. Serve with whole-wheat or sesame crispbread.
Serving Size: 1 1/4 cups
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 18 minutes
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, all visible fat discarded, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 3/4 cups fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (8-ounce) can bamboo shoots, rinsed and drained
- 4 ounces snow peas, trimmed
- 1/3 cup water plus 1 tablespoon water, divided use 4 medium green onions, sliced
- 3 tablespoons plain rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce (lowest sodium available)
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped peeled gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium-high heat, swirling to coat the bottom. Cook the chicken for 6–8 minutes, or until no longer pink in the center, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the broth, bamboo shoots, snow peas, 1/3 cup water, the green onions, vinegar, soy sauce, gingerroot, brown sugar, red pepper flakes, and pepper. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat and simmer for 6–8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Put the cornstarch in a small bowl. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon water, stirring to dissolve. Stir into the soup. Increase the heat to medium high and bring to a boil. Boil for 1–2 minutes, or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
½ Carbohydrate, 1 Vegetable, 3 Lean Protein
|Calories from Fat||45|
|Total Fat||5 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Trans Fat||0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||1.5 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||11 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|
|Added Sugar||1 g|