Apples make a delicious, healthy snack all on their own. But this recipe elevates this fruit to another level with touches of chewiness, sweetness, nuttiness and crunchiness.
Serves: Serves 6
Serving Size: 6 apple wedges per serving
- 1/3 cup dried unsweetened cranberries or raisins
- ¼ cup sliced unsalted almonds
- 2 tablespoons unsalted shelled sunflower seeds
- 3 medium green or red apples, such as Granny Smith or Red Delicious, cored and thinly sliced into about 12 wedges each
- 1 to 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- ¼ cup smooth low-sodium peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon honey
- In a small bowl, stir together the cranberries, almonds and sunflower seeds.
- Layer half the apples on a large plate or platter. Sprinkle the lemon juice over the apples to keep them from browning.
- In a small microwaveable bowl, microwave the water on 100% power (high) for 2 minutes, or until boiling. Add the peanut butter and honey, stirring until the mixture is smooth.
- Using a spoon, drizzle half the peanut butter mixture over the apple wedges. Sprinkle with half the cranberry mixture. Layer the remaining apples over the cranberry mixture. Over everything, drizzle the remaining peanut butter mixture and sprinkle the remaining cranberry mixture.
1 fat, 1 1/2 fruit, 1/2 lean meat