Bean and Cheese Tostadas
A combination of giant nachos and tossed salad, these yummy tostadas require knives and forks.
Serving Size: 1 tostada
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can no-salt-added pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red hot-pepper sauce
- 4 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 1/2 cup shredded low-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded romaine
- 4 ounces grape tomatoes or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a food processor or blender, process the beans, water, chili powder, cumin, garlic, and hot-pepper sauce until smooth.
- Put the tortillas on a baking sheet. Spread the bean mixture on the tortillas. Sprinkle with the cheddar.
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until the cheddar has melted and the bean mixture is hot.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, gently toss together the remaining ingredients.
- Top the tortillas with the romaine mixture.
2 Starch, 1 Lean Protein
|Calories from Fat||40|
|Total Fat||4.5 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Trans Fat||0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||2.5 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||31 g|
|Dietary Fiber||12 g|
|Added Sugar||0 g|