Farmers’ Market Omelets
Brighten up your breakfast with these flavorful omelets, full of fresh vegetables, fragrant basil, and pungent feta cheese.
Serving Size: 1/2 omelet
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon canola or corn oil, divided use
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 6 large egg whites
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup fat-free milk
- 4 medium green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 oz fat-free feta cheese, crumbled
- In a medium nonstick skillet, heat 2 tsp oil over medium heat, swirling to coat the bottom. Cook the tomatoes and spinach for 2–3 minutes, or until the tomatoes are slightly softened, stirring constantly. Transfer the mixture to a plate. Cover to keep warm. Set aside. Wipe the skillet with paper towels.
- In a small bowl, using a fork, lightly beat together the egg whites, eggs, and milk. Stir in the green onions.
- In the same skillet, still over medium heat, heat 1 tsp oil, swirling to coat the bottom. Pour half the egg white mixture into the skillet, swirling to coat the bottom. Cook for 30 seconds, or until beginning to set. Using a spatula, carefully lift the cooked edge of the omelet and tilt the skillet so the uncooked portion flows under the edge. Cook until no runniness remains, repeating the lift-and-tilt procedure once or twice at other places along the edge if needed.
- With the skillet still on the burner, spread half the tomato mixture over half the omelet. Sprinkle, in order, with half the basil and half the feta. Remove from the heat. Using a spatula, carefully fold the half with no filling over the other half. Cut the omelet in half crosswise. Gently slide onto plates. Cover to keep warm.
- Using the remaining ingredients, including the final 1 tsp oil, make and fill a second omelet.
1 Vegetable, 2 Lean Protein
|Calories from Fat||50|