Orange Apple Bars
These bars, with their thin layer of tasty apple butter, are a delightful snack or dessert. Make two batches at the same time, doubling the ingredients and using the oven just once, then freeze a batch for later.
Serving Size: 1 (1 3/4 inch square)
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 35 minutes
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup regular or quick-cooking oatmeal
- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour or all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large egg whites
- 3 tablespoons canola or corn oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 1/2 cups fruit butter, such as apple or pumpkin
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly spray an 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the oatmeal, flour, sugar, cardamom, nutmeg, and baking soda.
- In a small bowl, using a fork, lightly beat the egg whites. Stir in the oil and orange juice.
- Add the egg white mixture to the oatmeal mixture, stirring until the combined mixture holds together. Press three-fourths of the mixture into the baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the fruit butter and orange zest. Using a rubber scraper, spread the fruit butter mixture over the oatmeal mixture. Sprinkle with the remaining oatmeal mixture.
- Bake for 30–35 minutes, or until the top is golden brown. Transfer the dish to a cooling rack and let cool completely before cutting into squares.
|Calories from Fat||20|
|Total Fat||2 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Trans Fat||0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||10 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|
|Added Sugar||2 g|