Roasted Veggie Pizza on Phyllo Crust
A colorful variety of fresh vegetables nests on flaky phyllo dough, then is topped with just the right amount of cheese. Roasting brings out the sweetness of the veggies, packing the pizza with so much flavor that no sauce is needed
Serving Size: 1 slice (1/6 pizza)
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 3 cups tightly packed spinach
- 12 ounces cherry tomatoes, halved
- 12 ounces asparagus, trimmed, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 6 ounces thickly sliced mushrooms, such as button, cremini, portobello, or shiitake (stems discarded)
- 1 medium bell pepper (any color), chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 (14 × 9-inch) frozen phyllo sheets, thawed
- 1/3 cup shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded or grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano or dried basil, crumbled
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Lightly spray a large baking pan with cooking spray.
- Arrange the spinach, cherry tomatoes, asparagus, mushrooms, bell pepper, and onion in a single layer in the pan. Lightly spray the vegetables with cooking spray. Sprinkle with the pepper. Roast for 10–15 minutes, or until the onion is tender-crisp. Transfer the vegetables to a plate.
- Wipe the baking pan with paper towels. Lightly spray the pan with cooking spray. Reduce the oven temperature to 400°F.
- Keeping the unused phyllo covered with a damp cloth or damp paper towels to prevent drying, place 1 sheet in the pan. Lightly spray with cooking spray. Repeat with the remaining phyllo, layering each sheet on top of the previous one.
- Spread the roasted vegetables over the layered phyllo. Sprinkle with the remaining ingredients.
- Bake for 10–15 minutes, or until the mozzarella and Parmesan have melted and the crust is golden brown around the edges.
½ Starch, 2 Vegetable
|Calories from Fat||20|
|Total Fat||2.5 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Trans Fat||0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||15 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|
|Added Sugar||0 g|
This recipe is from Diabetes & Heart-Healthy Recipes published by the American Diabetes Association. ©2019 American Diabetes Association and the American Heart Association. All rights reserved.