Spicy Beef and Onion Kebab
These wonderfully zesty kebabs are perfect for the grilling season. You can grill zucchini or yellow squash seasoned with no-salt-added lemon pepper right alongside the kebabs for an equally flavorful side dish.
Serving Size: 1 kebab
Prep Time: 15 minutes / 30 minutes–2 hours (Marinating time)
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
- 1/4 cup beer (light or nonalcoholic)
- 1/4 cup no-salt-added ketchup
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon red hot-pepper sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound boneless top sirloin steak, about 1 1/4 inches thick, all visible fat discarded, cut into 16 cubes
- Cooking spray
- 1 large onion, cut through the core into 16 wedges, each about 1/3 inch thick
- In a large shallow glass dish, whisk together the beer, ketchup, garlic, mustard, hot-pepper sauce, and salt. Add the beef, turning to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes to 2 hours, turning occasionally.
- When the beef is marinated, lightly spray the grill rack with cooking spray. Preheat the grill on medium high.
- Drain the beef, pouring the marinade into a small saucepan. Bring the marinade to a boil over high heat. Boil for at least 5 minutes. (This destroys harmful bacteria.)
- Alternating, thread 4 beef cubes and 4 onion wedges onto each of four metal skewers.
- Place the kebabs on the grill. Brush with half the marinade.
- Grill, covered, for 5 minutes. Turn over the kebabs. Using a clean basting brush, brush with the remaining marinade. Grill, covered, for 5–8 minutes for medium rare, or until the beef is the desired doneness.
2 Vegetable, 3 Lean Protein, ½ Fat
|Calories from Fat||50|
|Total Fat||6 g|
|Saturated Fat||2.5 g|
|Trans Fat||0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||11 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|
|Added Sugar||2 g|